Connected to the....Drive Wheel...
Next I measured
and made the connecting rods. Like the side rods, these puppies took
about 30 hours to make. First I started with a hunk of steel and bored
holes for the bearings.
Once I got the
holes bored, I machined the face profiles. Then I taped a copy of the
connecting rod drawing to the rod and sprayed it with layout bluing to
give me the outline of the rod. Then I cut away the excess with the
Here's what it
looked like after rough cutting and grinding.
This is how I put
the profile on the rod.
I did have to take
off some excess metal on the crosshead slide bar to clear the connecting
rod when the drivers were at 12 O'clock.